Sunday, December 7, 2008

shine a light

It's been really frustrating trying to take good photos of the things I am making. As much as I love my apartment, its undeniably dark, no matter the time of day. Even mid-morning on a sunny day I can't seem to find a place in here to take a clear, bright picture. I'm not happy with the photos I've posted on etsy so far, and have been experimenting with different methods to re-shoot them.

I read a lot of blogs online where etsy users discuss their photography tips and many of them suggested building a lightbox. So, with very basic materials (cardboard box, poster board, tissue paper) and following online instructions, I went about making this.


It turned out OK, but even with 2 bright lights I couldn't manage to get a great photo. Still not enough light! I tried this morning using the lightbox next to a window, to try to capture natural light, and it was better, but not fantastic. I think a lightbox works well mainly for shooting in macro for detail shots, but thats about it.

Many people online have said that they have a similar problem, and have found that taking their photos outdoors is the only solution that works. Not ideal in snowy Toronto, but the results are so much better. So outside I go! Photos are really the most important part of etsy, and I really want to improve mine.

I have tired hands today from carving my first real linocut project in a long time. I'm happy with it and I can't wait to try printing on the many chunks of wood I have waiting. The pattern is from an old piece of fabric from Value Village that I love. I'm planning to do a series of block prints on wood, using petty patterns from vintage fabric.


No comments: